Pro-Ject’s Xtension 12 Evolution is a mass-loaded audiophile turntable with a 12″ tonearm & optional Sumiko Starling
. Pro-Ject’s Xtension 12 incorporates decades of experience in turntable design & build. It represents their latest technological efforts to address mass-decoupling and resonance reduction.
Beginning with the mass-loaded magnetically suspended sub-chassis and the precision-balanced sandwich alloy platter (recycled vinyl/alloy), the foundation of this system alone weighs in at over 50 lbs. Additionally, Pro-Ject employs magnetic-decoupling feet to prevent mechanical vibration from disturbing playback. This mass and its isolation create an environment of extremely low resonance allowing music to emerge from an ultra-silent background. An AC motor with a two-step pulley with electronic speed control maintains perfect pitch and rhythm resulting in inaudible wow & flutter.
There’s also a built-in spirit level to assist in setting the height-adjustable magnetic feet. Further reducing noise and vibration is the isolated TPE mounting board for the 12″ carbon-fiber tonearm. The conical arm with integrated headshell are fabricated from a single piece of carbon fiber to avoid problems associated with standing wave reflections. Single-screw fixing of the armtube allows for simple azimuth adjustment if needed. Additionally, the arm is fully VTA adjustable and includes a purpose-designed DIN-RCA phono cable (1.23m).
RPM 9 & 10 Carbon, Xtension 9, 10 & 12 Evolution, and Signature 10 & 12 use plinths that are more than meets the eye. These high-end turntables not only use multi-density fiber (MDF, which absorbs resonance), but inside the plinths are also “central gravity points” filled will steel pellets. Drawing harmful resonance to the central gravity point all but eliminates the potential for plinth and bearing noise to reach the tonearm and cartridge. Pellets are used as opposed to a solid alloy due to their dispersion effect where a solid alloy may resonate. This design heightens the overall mass of these turntables as well, a well-known approach to optimizing sonics.
- Super-heavy 25 kg mass load magnetic floating belt drive design
- TPE damped precision balanced alloy platter with vinyl top
- Brass record puck
- Ultra low noise motor
- Magnet supported, inverted main bearing with ceramic thrust-pad
- Integrated Speed Box SE for super silent motor drive and electronically switchable speed
- Metal-granulate filled plinth for universal damping
- Mass loaded interchangeable armboard
- Height adjustable magnet supported feet for perfect isolation
- Gold-plated RCA phono sockets
- Handmade in Europe
- Speed: 33, 45rpm (electronic speed change), 78rpm (manual speed change)
- Principle: Belt drive
- Wow & flutter: ± 0.01% (max)
- Speed variance: ± 0.09% (max)
- Signal to Noise: 73dB
- Power consumption: 2W max