The MR89 Includes many advancements and new features to make radio listening more pleasurable. 60dB output meters show the signal level that's being delivered from the analog outputs. Exclusive radio-frequency circuitry. Advanced low distortion performance. Digital and analog outputs.
While there is no doubting the popularity and permanence of paid music streaming services, there is still plenty of free music being broadcast over the air from thousands of traditional radio stations. And McIntosh has a long and distinguished history with radio and tuners. The McIntosh MR78 from the 1970s is considered by many to be one of the best – if not the best – tuners ever made. The MR89 AM/FM Tuner carries on with this tradition of tuner excellence by letting you enjoy the abundance of free music streaming over invisible airwaves.
The MR89 features exclusive McIntosh radio frequency (RF) circuitry that is capable of receiving both strong FM signals from nearby stations – something that can overload and cause distortion in lesser tuners – while also being able to tune in weaker FM signals located further away with little to no noise. The MR89's advanced signal quality monitor can display detailed signal, multipath, and noise levels of the incoming RF signals to help fine tune optimal placement of your AM or FM antenna. It comes with our RAA2 AM antenna that features a 20-foot (6m) long cable that provides flexibility in placing the antenna for the best possible radio signal reception; your McIntosh dealer will be able to assist you in choosing the correct FM antenna based on your home's location relative to your favorite FM stations. A pair of balanced and unbalanced analog outputs along with one each of digital coax and optical outputs are included to connect the MR89 to your home audio system.
A multitude of advancements have been made in the MR89 to make your radio listening more pleasurable. Sensitivity, Signal to Noise Ratio, Harmonic Distortion, Channel Selectivity, and Stereo Separation were thoroughly analyzed and thoughtfully updated resulting in substantial performance improvements for each. A variety of new features have also been added. To help with lower quality FM stereo broadcasts, Stereo Blending has been upgraded with the introduction of a new High Blend option which blends the high frequency portion of the audio frequency range more aggressively. The new Softmute feature reduces audio output when receiving low quality stations or between-station static and noise. Another added method to reduce noise and enhance your listening experience is the new Highcut function that reduces high frequency audio content. Several aggressiveness settings are available for Stereo Blending, High Blend, Softmute, and Highcut to suit station quality and your listening preferences.
AM and FM radio stations are tuned using the smooth acting tuning knob. The MR89 supports the FM Radio Broadcast Data System (RBDS)1, allowing the display to show various information such as station name, music genre, artist name, and song title (provided such data is transmitted by the station). The RBDS data display can be adjusted or turned off entirely according to your liking. A Seek function is available through either the front panel controls or from the included remote control. The sensitivity of the Seek function is adjustable through setup menus. The MR89 can store up to 20 preset stations in both the AM and FM band.
A pair of 60dB output meters show the signal level that's being delivered from the analog outputs of each channel. While the volume is controlled by your preamplifier, integrated amplifier, or other control device, the meters on the MR89 accurately portray the Left and Right channel audio output generated from the received station. Depending on the program received, the meters are a good indication of the MR89’s excellent stereo separation.
The MR89 can receive the following FM frequencies that are used in the listed regions as well as in many other parts of the world: 87.5MHz – 108.0MHz (Europe); 88.1MHz – 107.9MHz (USA); and 76.0MHz – 108.0MHz (Japan). For AM reception, it can receive 531kHz – 1701kHz (Europe); 530kHz – 1700kHz (USA); and 531kHz – 1629kHz (Japan).
The black glass front panel, meters, knobs, and brushed aluminum end caps are all housed in a stainless-steel chassis polished to a luxurious mirror finish that imparts the timeless McIntosh look. The MR89 can be paired with a variety of amplifiers, turntables, CD players, home theater processors, room correction devices, speakers, and other source components to make a complete home audio system.
- Bands: AM/FM
- Rated Output: 1Vrms Unbalanced, 2Vrms Balanced
- Output Impedance: 100 ohms Unbalanced or Balanced
- Standby Power Requirement: <0.5 watt
- Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/2" (44.45cm) x 6" (15.24cm) x 15-7/8" (40.32cm)
- Unit Weight: 23 lbs (10.4 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 37.5 lbs (17 kg)
- Tuning Range: 87.5MHz - 108.0MHz (Europe), 88.1MHz - 107.9MHz (USA), 76.0MHz - 108.0MHz (Japan)
- Channel Spacing: 50kHz, 100kHz or 200kHz
- Antenna Input: 75 ohms, Type “F” Coax connector
- Useable Sensitivity: 2uV
- Signal To Noise Ratio: Mono: 70dB, Stereo: 68dB
- Frequency Response: ±1dB 20Hz to 18kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: Mono: 0.1%, Stereo: 0.3%
- Channel Selectivity: 70dB Adjacent Channel, 75dB Alternate Channel
- Stereo Separation: 45dB
- Tuning Range: 531kHz - 1701kHz (Europe), 530kHz - 1700kHz (USA), 531kHz - 1629kHz (Japan)
- Channel Spacing: 9kHz or 10kHz
- Antenna Input: Balanced, RJ45 connector (for use only with supplied McIntosh RAA2 Remote AM Antenna)
- Sensitivity: 350uV/m
- Signal To Noise Ratio: 55dB
- Frequency Response: ±1dB 20Hz - 1.5kHz, -6dB 3kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.1%
- Selectivity: 45dB Adjacent Channel
Digital Audio Specifications
- Balanced Fixed Output: 1
- Unbalanced Fixed Output: 1
- Digital Coaxial Output: 1
- Digital Optical Output: 1
- AM Antenna Input: 1
- FM Antenna Input: 1
- Service Port: 1
- Digital Coaxial Output: 0.5V p-p/75 ohm
- Digital Optical Output: -15dbm to -21dbm
- Sampling Frequency: 48kHz
- Rear Panel Data Input: 1
- Rear Panel IR Sensor Input: 1
- Power Control Input: 1
- Power Control Output: 1
- RS232 Control Input: 1