Burmester 036 Classic Power Amplifier
The 036 is a stereo amp. However, all Burmester stereo amps can easily be bridged into mono operation using external mono adapters. If two amps are ordered as a mono pair we will bridge the amps internally at the factory free of charge. The rise time (the quickness of the amp) is the same whether it operates in stereo or mono mode. Furthermore, we offer bi-amping adapters for using a pair of 036 with speakers that require bi-amping. All our amplifiers are run through a long battery of tests to make sure each one conforms to our reference prototype. After the first computer-aided set of about 300 test measurements the units are continuously burnt-in at nominal load for 7 days. After that we run a second set of the same computer-aided tests. Only when the two results are identical the unit will be released for a listening test. If this final test meets our standards the unit will be packed and shipped. With this arduous process of testing and re-testing we want to make sure that each 036 fulfils our guarantee of reliability and musicality to our customers.
The 036 offers balanced circuitry and it is entirely DC-coupled. There are no distorting capacitors in the signal path. An intelligent protection circuit outside the signal path monitors during operation for overheating, DC offset and overloading. A special feature of the 036 is its extremely high damping factor. This high damping factor coupled with the ability to quickly deliver large amounts of current (rise time at 4Ω is only 1.5 μS) enables the amp to effortlessly drive virtually any loudspeaker over its wide frequency response. With its mighty power supply the 036 is able to deliver high currents continuously and thus easily control speakers with low impedance values and complex loads. The frequency response is practically load-independent. Very good spatial resolution, natural musical warmth and negligible distortion characterize the sound of the 036. The transistors of the output stages are placed on the oversized heat sinks that form the sides of the housing. The driver stages, however, are located on a separate internal heat sink. This keeps the wide temperature fluctuations of the heat sinks from shifting the working points of the amplification section. Internal wiring of the 036 is done with 10 mm² high-purity copper cable. This ensures that the high currents of the power amplifier reach the massive bindings posts without loss. With respect to signal-car- rying conductors we consciously omitted copper rails - which have become all the rage these days – to avoid unwanted micro phonic effects. For the internal connections that carry music signals we use our electrically and magnetically shielded “Burmester SILVER” cable.
The 036 is widely acclaimed for its naturally warm musicality and detailed imaging. In its capability to unlock the smallest sonic detail in the world’s best speakers even at very high volumes the 036 is second to none.
- Bridgeable into mono operation by external mono adapters or internally at the factory when ordering a pair of 036 mono amps
- Bi-amping with the use of external bi-amping adapters
- Balanced circuitry throughout like all Burmester components
- Input stages in proprietary X-Amp technology (Class A)
- Low overall negative feedback
- Signal path completely DC-coupled, no distorting capacitors
- High current delivery capabilities due to an oversized power supply
- High damping factor enables effortless control of any speaker over the entire frequency range, even at high frequencies
- Stable at any load over the entire frequency range
- Massive binding posts for connection of speaker cables (use only spade plugs!)
- Remote on/off switching in connection with Burmester pre-amps and D/A converters with variable output (remote control current: 10V DC)
- A protection circuit outside of the signal path monitors the 036 during operation for overheating, DC offset and overdrive
- Balanced inputs (stereo/mono)
- Unbalanced inputs by using the supplied adapters (only in stereo mode)
- 10V DC input for remote on/off switching by Burmester pre-amps and Burmester D/A converters with variable output
- Bindings posts for loudspeaker hook-up (stereo/mono)
AVAILABLE FINISHES AND ACCESSORIES
Standard model with housing in silver anodized. Custom finishes upon request.
- Rated power output: Stereo: 2x171 W at 4Ω
- Mono: 1x300 W at 4Ω
- Continuous peak current: 30 A
- Damping factor: >1800
- Signal-to-noise ratio: >81 dB
- Input impedance: 1.5 kΩ (bal.), 15 kΩ (unbal.)
- Input sensitivity: 730 mV for full gain, 320 mV for 100W at 4 Ω load
- Frequency response: 0-200kHz (-3dB)
- Rise time (stereo/mono): 1,4 μs at 4/8 Ω load, 1,9 μs at 1 Ω load
- Oversized power supply with 88.000 μF filter capacity and 450 VA toroidal transformer. Additional local filtering close to the output stages of 12.000 μF per channel.
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 482 mm x 95 mm x 482 mm
- Weight: app. 25 kg (55lbs.)