Audio Research is pleased to introduce the VT80SE, the Audio Research amplifier with the widest appeal to the greatest number of music lovers worldwide. By combining world-class performance with flexibility and features like auto-bias, the VT80 has been an amp that incorporates easily and seamlessly into your system, allowing you to focus on enjoying your music collection.
The biggest change from the VT80 to the new VT80SE is an upgrade from KT120 to higher-performance KT150 output tubes. Audio Research proudly features KT150 tubes in all of their current amplifiers, from the VSi75 to the REF 750SE. Performance is unparalleled, and the KT150's 3,000 hour average life allows years of uninterrupted listening. The VT80 was originally designed with KT120 tubes, the predecessor to the KT150. These two tubes are electrically interchangeable, and with such high demand for delivering the VT80 with KT150 tubes, the VT80SE was an inevitable evolution.
The KT150 tubes supplied by Audio Research are specially produced to ARC's high standards. They are tested and measured for quality control and assurance, and given a 48 hour burn-in. Then, using ARC's “Certified Matched” process, the tubes are hand-matched in sets with tolerances 10x tighter than standard off-the-shelf tubes, thus ensuring the finest audio quality possible. With its auto-bias design, the VT80SE can be used with KT120 or KT150 output tubes, and the circuit will adjust immediately when a new tube is installed. Protective fuses are installed for each output tube and can be replaced if the need ever arises.
What sonic improvements will you hear with the VT80SE? Tonal color, detail, dynamic swing and purity are all improved, along with a bigger and more robust presentation. The music gets better, in every way. Aside from the beautiful curves of the KT150 tubes, the only other way to distinguish the SE from the original VT80 is by a small sticker on the rear panel. Nothing else needed to change. The existing (optional) ventilated tube cover can be used with the taller KT150 tube set, there is still sufficient space to breathe. Hear for yourself how good your system can sound with the new VT80SE, it will make a tube-lover out of anyone who loves music!
- POWER OUTPUT: 75 watts per channel continuous from 20Hz to 20kHz. 1kHz total harmonic distortion typically 1% at 75 watts, below 0.05% at 1 watt. (Note that actual power output is dependent upon both line voltage and ‘condition’ i. e.: if power line has high distortion, maximum power will be affected adversely, although from a listening standpoint this is not very critical.)
- POWER BANDWIDTH: (-3dB points) 7Hz to 60kHz.
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: (-3dB points at 1 watt) 0.7Hz to 80kHz.
- INPUT SENSITIVITY: 1.4V RMS BAL for rated output. (25dB Bal gain into 8 ohms.)
- INPUT IMPEDANCE: 300K ohms Balanced (150K ohms SE)
- OUTPUT POLARITY: Non-inverting. Balanced input pin 2+ (IEC-268)
- OUTPUT TAPS: 8 ohms, 4 ohms
- OUTPUT REGULATION: Approximately 1.0dB 8 OHM LOAD TO OPEN CIRCUIT (Damping factor approximately 8)
- OVERALL NEGATIVE FEEDBACK: 15dB
- SLEW RATE: 10 volts/microsecond
- RISE TIME: 4.0 microseconds
- CHANNEL SEPARATION: 112dB
- HUM & NOISE: –84dBV weighted, 8 ohms tap
- SIGNAL TO NOISE: 112dB
- CONTROLS: Power on/off, auto shut-off on/defeat, Input BAL/SE, RS232, 12V trigger
- AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE: 30° C (86° F) maximum ambient air temperature
- POWER SUPPLY ENERGY STORAGE: Approximately 350 joules
- POWER REQUIREMENTS: 100-125VAC 60Hz (200-250VAC 50Hz) 410 watts at rated output, 500 watts maximum, 230 watts idle. Sleep power < 1 watt
- TUBES REQUIRED: (2) Matched pair KT120 or KT150 – Power Output; (2) 6H30 Driver
- DIMENSION (WHD): 19” x 10.33” x 18.45” (48.3 cm) to chassis , 19.40” to terminals
- WEIGHT: 45.7lbs. (20.7 kg) Net; 60.5 lbs. (27.4 kg)