When Audio Research was founded in 1970, analog vinyl playback was the de facto music source of the time. Audio Research has either incorporated or built stand-alone phono stages since the very beginning and has continuously provided phono preamplification, even during the height of digital music. The Reference Phono 3SE is the next great advancement in analog playback and represents a new benchmark.
The knowledge gained in the creation of Audio Research’s award-winning Reference 160-series amplifiers has transitioned to both Reference preamplifiers. The Reference Phono 3SE continues the upgrades introduced in the Reference 6SE line-stage, including a number of new, ultra-high-quality parts judiciously incorporated into its design and ushering in a new level of sonic accuracy and musicality.
Due to the extremely low-level nature of the signals involved in a phono stage, the component and wiring upgrades incorporated in the Reference Phono 3SE combine to create a startling advancement in performance. The improvements heard immediately include enhanced resolution at all levels, greater purity and focus, improved transient speed and snap, and better dynamic shading. The sum of these improvements is exceptional, further breaking down the barrier between reproduced sound and the immediacy of a live event.
The Reference Phono 3SE phono preamplifier is housed in a single chassis with heavy, machined aluminum side panels and special acrylic top and bottom covers for the best sound. The vacuum-tube audio stage utilizes six 6H30 vacuum tubes (three per channel), while one 6H30 and a 6550WE provide regulation in the power supply. The large, vacuum fluorescent display on the front panel shows all functions relative to the selected input. A row of six buttons controls power, mute, input, and menu controls.
Menu functions include auto shutdown, gain and load settings, display brightness, equalization settings (RIAA, Columbia and Decca), and accumulated tube hours. High- and low-gain settings, as well as six fixed and one custom impedance setting, can accommodate most any moving coil or moving magnet cartridge. Two single-ended inputs provide connectivity to two turntables. There are two main outputs providing both balanced and single-ended outputs. RS-232 and IR input allow for additional control options. The Reference Phono 3 includes a full-function remote control..
- Frequency Response: ±.2 dB of RIAA, 10 Hz to 60kHz; 3 dB points below 0.3Hz and above 300 kHz
- Distortion: Less than .002% at 1.0V RMS 1kHz output
- Gain: Selectable 51 dB (Low) and 73 dB (High) at 1kHz BAL; 45 dB (Low) and 67 dB (High) at 1kHz SE. (MC and MM compatible)
- Input Impedance: 47k Ohms and 100 pF SE
- Selectable loads: 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50 Ohms, and Custom
- Output Impedance: 400 ohms Balanced, 200 ohms SE. Recommended load 50k-100k Ohms and 100 pF. (10k Ohms minimum and 2000 pF maximum)
- Output Polarity: Non-inverting
- Phono Equalization: (selectable) RIAA, Columbia, and Decca
- Maximum Input: 250 mV RMS at 1kHz (680 mV RMS at 10kHz) - Low Gain
- Rated Outputs: 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm balanced load (maximum balanced output capability is 30V RMS at less than 0.5% THD at 1kHz)
- Controls: 6 Push Buttons: Power, Menu, Option, Enter, Input, Mute
- Power Supplies: Electronically regulated low and high voltage supplies. Automatic 2 minute warm-up/brown-out mute. Line regulation better than .01%.
- Noise: 0.28 µV equivalent input noise, IHF weighted. Shorted (Low Gain) input (71 dB below 1mV 1kHz input). 0.082 µV equivalent input noise (High Gain). (62 dB below 0.1 mV 1kHz input)
- Tube Complement: (6)-6H30P dual triodes, plus (1 each) 6550WE and 6H30P in power supply
- Power Requirements: 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC 50/60Hz) 130 watts. Standby: 2 watts
- Dimensions: Width 19” (48 cm) Height 7.8” (19.8 cm) Depth 16.5” (41.9 cm) Handles extend 1.6” (4 cm) forward of the front panel
- Weight: 36.5 lbs. (16.6 kg) Net; 53 lbs. (24 kg) Shipping
- Finish: Natural Silver