Audio Research has produced some of the finest components for music reproduction; this is especially true with regard to preamplifiers. In 1973, the SP3 was hailed by every major critic as the best preamplifier available, and this tradition of excellence has continued ever since. The Reference Series from Audio Research was first introduced in 1995 and has been the ultimate representation of performance, musicality and dynamics. The Reference 6SE is the latest chapter in the Audio Research story.
With a single gain stage, the 6SE is a fully-balanced, Class-A design with zero feedback. In addition to six long-life 6H30 tubes in the gain stage, the enormous and highly-regulated power supply has another 6H30 with a 6550 providing vacuum-tube regulation.
The Reference 6SE replaces the Reference 6 and offers the highest performance ever available in a single-chassis preamplifier. Benefitting from the development that went into the Reference 160-series amplifiers, and the latest Reference 750SEL, the 6SE incorporates a myriad of new parts that have been judiciously incorporated into its design. The final 6SE would not have been possible without these revolutionary amplifiers.
Regardless of the recording, the improvement in sound is immediate and compelling. Effortless, dynamic, and dimensional. The speed and resolution merge with musical color and textures that are both accurate and captivating.
- FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +0-3dB, 0.4Hz to 200kHz at rated output (Balanced, 200k ohms load).
- DISTORTION: Less than .01% at 2V RMS BAL output.
- GAIN: Main output: 12dB Balanced output, 6dB SE output. Record out: 0dB (Processor input: 0dB BAL output).
- INPUT IMPEDANCE: 120K ohms Balanced, 60K ohms SE. Inputs: 4 balanced, 4 single-ended. Assignable processor passthrough.
- OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2). 20K ohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance. Outputs (3): 2 main, 1 record out (XLR and RCA connectors).
- OUTPUT POLARITY: Non-inverting.
- MAXIMUM INPUT: 18V RMS BAL, 9V RMS SE.
- RATED OUTPUTS: 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm balanced load (maximum balanced output capability is 70V RMS at less than 0.5% THD at 1kHz).
- CROSSTALK: -88dB or better at 1kHz and 10 kHz.
- CONTROLS: Rotary encoders: Volume (103 steps), Select Input. Push Buttons: Power, Menu, Enter, Mono,Invert, Mute.
- POWER SUPPLIES: Electronically regulated low and high voltage supplies. Automatic 45 sec. warm-up/brown-out mute. Line regulation better than .01%.
- NOISE: 1.7uV RMS residual IHF weighted balanced equivalent input noise with volume at 1 (109dB below 2V RMS output.)
- TUBE COMPLEMENT: (6)-6H30P dual triodes, plus (1 each) 6550WE and 6H30P in power supply.
- POWER REQUIREMENTS: 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-250VAC 50/60Hz) 130 watts. Standby: 2 watts.
- DIMENSIONS (WHD): 19” x 7.8” x 16.5” Handles extend 1.6” (4 cm) forward of the front panel.
- WEIGHT: 37.5 lbs. (17 kg) Net; 49 lbs. (22.3 kg) Shipping