McIntosh Introduces the MT2 Turntable
March 8th, 2018
Filed under: News
The MT2 Precision Turntable becomes the third and most economical model in McIntosh’s line of turntables. It combines the latest in turntable technology and design to deliver both superb performance and accurate playback. A full complement of features allows for all recordings to be reproduced with flawless realism. Its advanced electronic and mechanical design will give many years of smooth, trouble-free operation.
While still very clearly a McIntosh design, it does differ in appearance compared to the MT10 and MT5. Most notable is that its platter is not illuminated, but instead a subtle green glow emanates from underneath and from the outside edges of the plinth, for a touch of refined ambiance. Another difference is that the plinth is thinner and does not include a glass front panel or aluminum endcaps.
Classic design cues such as McIntosh’s illuminated logo and control knob (for speed selection) firmly establish the MT2 as part of the brand’s family. Further establishing the McIntosh connection is the plinth, which is capped by an acrylic plate with styling borrowed from the RS100 Wireless Speaker.
- Belt driven
- Plays 33-1/3 and 45 rpm records
- Tracking force, anti-skate force, cartridge overhang and arm height are all preset from the factory
- Includes a moving coil cartridge that is compatible with both moving coil and moving magnet inputs
- Tonearm is constructed from dural-aluminum with special damping materials and is light weight yet highly rigid
- Noise free vertical bearings feature two precision ceramic surfaces with damping fluid
- The horizontal bearing is a gimballed sapphire design
- Outer platter is made from a special dynamically balanced polyoxymethylene (POM) and is over 1” thick
- Inner platter is made of CNC-precision milled aluminum
- Platters rotate on a polished and tempered steel shaft in a sintered bronze bushing
- DC motor is driven by an external voltage-stabilized power supply and is completely decoupled from the chassis
- Plinth has a resonance optimized and highly compressed wood base with black lacquer finish
- Top and middle acrylic plates help absorb unwanted vibrations
- A clear, contoured dust cover is included
← Back to main page